Hoverboards are a fun device, but sometimes they begin to misbehave. It might be a real bummer, but you need not worry about it. Such problems generally arise due to misconfigurations on the gyro board. Such issues surface after the hoverboard goes off-road or uphill/downhill. Calibrating or resetting your board is a quick fix to most of your problems. In this article, we will teach you how to calibrate a hoverboard.
You can say it is a panacea for all the common issues regarding your device.
Potential Problems due to Misconfiguration
Image source: Swagtron
Some common problems arise when you try to mount your hoverboard on high altitudes. You can fix the following issues by recalibrating hoverboard.
The hoverboard vibrates when you take it to high altitude. Vibration generally occurs when someone violates the lower weight limit of the board. Due to the low weight load, gyros find it challenging to keep you in a proper position and balance if they don’t have the correct configuration.
It might create a continuous beeping sound, and ultimately it becomes unresponsive.
- You might find it pulling to the left or right while riding.
- The board tends to spin around even when it is in perfect balance.
- There are multiple other problems that you can fix with calibration.
What To Do Before Calibrating The Hoverboard?
Make sure the device is reclining correctly on a flat surface. Anything else alludes to improper calibration. Also, never try calibrating it upside down.
Turn the device completely off. Don’t put it in sleep mode. Instead, use the silver button for it.
Hoverboard Calibrations Steps
Image source: Herworld
- Once the hoverboard comes to level, press the silver power button for 5 seconds until your device creates an annoying beep sound.
- The front/top (depending on the model) and it will make indicator LED lights flash.
- Check if LED lights start flashing. It might take 30 seconds to finish the calibration process. Meanwhile, don’t tinker with the device.
- After 30 seconds, turn off the board once more by pressing the power button.
Test The Calibration
- Press the power button once again to switch the device on, mount it and ride on it for a few minutes.
- Ensure it remains well balanced as you ride on it. Also, try cutting a few turns both on your left and your right.
- Repeat the process if the calibration is not successful.
- If the problem persists, give it one more try.
After all, if it isn’t balanced correctly, your device might have a technical issue in the circuit board or a lax connection in the wiring. If it occurs, you may need to contact the seller or manufacturer for advice on how to proceed.
How to Calibrate a hoverboard through Mobile Apps?
Image source: Segway
Some hoverboards come enabled with Bluetooth features. If you have such a device, you can calibrate it via a mobile app. This process is almost the same as any other calibration. Just use your phone rather than holding its power button for 10 seconds.
Stepwise calibration via mobile apps
- First, be sure to have the app installed on your phone.
- Ensure that your device is connected to the app.
- Place the device on a level surface so that both sides are in equilibrium.
- Check the app and find the “calibrate the unit” option on it.
- Follow the guidelines that appear on the app. Press the power button to turn it off.
- Wait for about 10 seconds and power it on again.
After completing the above process through the phone, your hoverboard should now be ready to use. Run a test run on your board to make sure it is working correctly.
Note that an improper procedure or not following the guidelines may overlap with the Bluetooth components on your hoverboard. So you must follow every step in this how to calibrate a hoverboard guide to complete the process correctly.
Image source: Smart Balance Wheel
Powering down the board with the remote instead of pressing the off button may not fix the problem. This will bring the device into low power mode instead of shutting it down. In addition, it may cause the balance sensors to become off.
Some of the brands allow you remote control via a series of button presses. Go through the manual to discover the calibration process.
This method can give you a hard time. Therefore, we recommend the silver button method to perform the calibration.
We have shared a general method on how to calibrate a hoverboard and test it. If recalibration doesn’t resolve your problem, there might be some issues with the below parts:
- Gyroscope board
- Motor problem
We hope this article will help you. However, if you have any questions regarding this, feel free to post them in the comments.