A few kilometres north of the Butic River’s east-west course, on the southern side of the Butic Lake, is the ancient Egyptian city of Tell El Fara’in (Hill of the Pharaohs).
According to Heritage Daily, it was built between the Thermuthiac (Sebennytic) and Taly (Bolbitine) branches of the Nile.
The goddess Wadjet, who was the patroness and defender of Lower Egypt before joining with Upper Egypt to become the patroness and protector of all of Egypt, was honoured by having the city declared a holy location.
An excavation team from Egypt made the discovery of the ruins of an old hall with pillars inside the larger temple structure. The area was 6.5 m by 4.5 m.
Three remaining columns in the hall are arranged on a north-south axis and are located near the southwest corner of the temple.
The team also found a number of engraved stone shards in addition to several ceramic and pottery artefacts used in ritual activities.
According to a press release from the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, the archaeologists also found a limestone painting of a bird’s head with a white crown and feathers.
In the Jordan River, archaeologists found the earliest evidence of cooking from 780,000 years ago.
Often depicted as a snake, Wadjet was later seen coiling around Ra’s head. The Ancient Egyptians gave Tell El Fara’in the name Per-Wadjet, and later the Ancient Greeks gave her the name Buto (which also means Wadjet) as a tribute to her as a protector deity.
The sacred temple and Wadjet sanctuary in the city were well-known; the bigger temple complex had an area of 11 acres.
Buto, now known as “Pharaohs Hill,” was the capital of the northern kingdom prior to the unification of Pharaonic Egypt. Then, in an effort to annex it to his southern kingdom and unite Egypt, King Narmer launched a war offensive. It happened in 3200 BC.
According to Britannica, excavations at the site, which Sir Flinders Petrie dubbed Beth-pelet, were carried out in Egypt between 1928 and 1930 by British archaeologists.
During the excavations, city levels and tombs from 1900 BC to around 1200 BC were found. Priceless prehistoric pottery and stone items were also produced nearby at several Chalcolithic Period (4th millennium BC) sites.