Clearing the browser cache is among the best ways to restore storage space in the computer or the phone. However, many people are usually unaware of this feature unless prompted to clear the browser cache.
So, for those unaware, here are some simple steps to clear the cache on major browsers –
Clearing cache in Chrome
- Open Chrome, then click on the three dots in the upper right corner.
- For the desktop version, select More Tools > Clear Browsing Data. And for the mobile app, choose Settings > Privacy and security > Clear browsing data.
- Users must ensure to check the cached images and files box. (Note: Users can also opt to clear browsing history and cookies in the Advanced tab.)
- After that, from the Time range drop-down menu, users need to choose how far back to go. For clearing cache, All time is the best option.
- Finally, tap on the Clear data button.
Clearing cache in Safari
Safari makes it easy for users to clear all their data, like cache, browsing history, and cookies, at once. Here’s how –
- Open the Safari browser on the desktop.
- Go to the top menu and select Safari > Clear History.
- Then, users need to choose the time (last hour, today, today, and yesterday, all history) they want to clear. Tap on Clear History.
- For iPhone, click on the Bookmarks icon at the bottom of the screen and then on the History icon.
- Then, users need to tap the Clear button and select the time they want to clear.
Here are the steps to clear only the browser cache –
- Find the Develop section in the Safari top menu. If it is not present, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and check Show Develop in the menu bar.
- Then, click on Develop > Empty Caches.
Clearing cache in Microsoft Edge
Steps to clear the cache on a desktop browser –
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser and click on the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Go to Settings > Privacy, search, and services.
- Scroll down to Clear browsing data and tap on Choose what to clear
- Users need to check the box of Cached images and files (and any other data they want to remove).
- From the Time range drop-down menu, select the time – last hour, last 24 hours, last four weeks, or all time.
- Tap on Clear now.
Steps to clear the cache on mobile browser –
- Go to Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots at the bottom of the screen.
- Open Settings > Privacy and security.
- Tap Clear browsing data.
- Then, users need to check the box of Cached images and files.
- Pick the time range from the drop-down menu.
- Also, users can choose the Clear browsing data upon exit option to clear all data each time they exit Edge.