Suppose you are going on a camping trip or a long drive amid scorching sun, and you are sweating from head to toe. Meanwhile, your car’s built-in air conditioner leaves you in the lurch. How would you feel in that case? So, naturally, you will try hard to reach your destination to beat this extreme heat. So stop worrying about it. In this article, we will suggest you the best car gadgets straightforward workaround to escape this aggravating situation.
Driving in humidity and heat for long hours can leave you exhausted. It can cause irritation and illness. You can lose your productivity in this way.
Your car’s built-in AC may not be good enough to comfort you in melting heat. In this case, getting a portable car air conditioner seems quite a good idea. They are compact, affordable, and effective. In this article, we will review check, and compare portable air conditioners and coolers and fan for car.
Table of Content
- 1 How Do Portable Air Conditioners Work?
- 2 Types of portable ac for your car
- 3 Best 5 Portable AC for cars and Trucks
- 4 Things to consider before buying a portable air conditioner
- 5 What are the Pros and cons of having a portable ac for your Car or Truck?
- 6 How To Install A Portable Air Conditioner
- 7 Best Portable Air Coolers for Cars
- 8 Best Five Portable Air Cooler For Cars
- 9 Best Five Portable Cooling Fans For Cars
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Best Portable Air Conditioners For Cars & Camping Video
How Do Portable Air Conditioners Work?
Portable ac for cars and RVs converts 12-volt DC power from the vehicle’s battery to 120-volt AC power. This is the same type of power that is in your home. The portable ac unit has a small fan that pulls in the hot air and blows cold air out. The unit also has a condenser coil that cools the hot gas created by the compressor.
Window central and portable air conditioners all work on the same principle. Every portable car ac has these major components:
– Expansion valve or capillary tube
– Thermal overload protector
The difference between window and portable air conditioners is that the portable unit must have a place to discharge the hot air. A window unit exhausts the hot air into the room.
Types of portable ac for your car
There are three types of portable AC units to choose from when looking for one to use in your camping trips according to the power source.
- The 12volt portable AC – 12volt portable AC unit plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car and uses the power from the car battery to run. This is the most common type of portable AC unit and is the most affordable.
- Battery power air conditioners for cars and trucks – These types of Air conditioners for cars are directly powered by your car’s battery.
- AC Adapter portable air conditioners – AC adapter portable air conditioners plug into the wall outlet in your car and use the power from the car’s battery to run. This is the most expensive type of portable AC unit, but it is also the most powerful.
Best 5 Portable AC for cars and Trucks
We have done a thorough research and bring you the best portable air conditioner for your car you can buy in 2022 to beat the heat. These 5 are the best portable ac for cars and RVs you need to buy. portable car air conditioners have huge benefits.
Gt Tech Portable Air Conditioner for the car
Image Credits: amazon
This portable car AC for small space allows you to adjust it in your car. It saves electricity, and it does not require refrigeration or chemicals to cool the air. It can cool and humidify the air around you. It will maintain indoor humidity, which will make you feel comfortable in the sweltering heat. GT tech made this portable air conditioner for cars.
This mini portable air conditioner have a USB adapter can charge this portable air conditioner for cars. It is storage-friendly. Apart from installing it in your car, you can take it to camp also.
This stand-alone air conditioner is quiet, and its noise-free feature will make you feel comfortable. You can turn on the small night light before sleeping. Its cool light will relax you at night.
You can use the original filter for a long time. It is very easy to wash. For example, you can take it out and rinse it every one to two months.
Gt Tech Portable Air conditioner for cars is our top pick AC available today. Due to its portability, low noise level, and excellent battery life it tops the chart of the best portable AC. it ticks all the boxes that make it a perfect portable AC.
Bucket Breeze Portable Air Conditioner for Cars
Image Credits: amazon
This Bucket Breeze Portable air conditioner is an excellent way of cooling a small area, car RV, or tent. This lightweight portable car AC runs on 12-volt batteries and comes with a 12-volt adapter.
After freezing the breeze bottles, you can enjoy cooling them for up to 10 hours. Refrigerant can last for 7-10 hours.
Frozen water with glacier Ice additive will make the frozen ice last five to seven hours and maintain an ambient around 30 degrees below ambient and rise to the current temperature over the cooling period.
The Bucket Breeze comprises the bucket, bucket lid with a super-powerful fan, 12V adapter, 2 battery housings, gel-based refrigerant, and containers.
Zero Breeze Mark II Portable Car Air conditioner
Image Credits: zerobreeze
This portable AC is suitable for cars RVs, tents, and trucks. It features a 650 Watts / 2,300 BTU cooling capacity, four adjustable fan speeds, and three cooling modes. For those who enjoy frequent outings and have a hard time sleeping in hot conditions, this Mark II can be a good solution.
It lowers the ambient temperature up to 30F in 10 minutes. Battery power keeps the cool air flowing for up to five hours when sleep mode is activated. Each battery gets you up to 5 hours of run time and includes two USB ports.
Its budget-friendly and power-saving features give it an edge over other such portable ACs for cars. It is one of the best portable air conditioners for cars.
IcyBreeze V2 Pro Portable Air Conditioner
Image Credits: icybreeze
The Icy Breeze V2 Portable air conditioner is an excellent solution for your car as it does not require installation. Just plug in the battery, and you are good to go.
It’s a combination of an air conditioner and a cooler. Ice and water are filled into it, and the power turns on. It pulls air from outside to run across the cooling coils placed internally. The flexible hose blows out the cool air. The hose directs the air to the required location. A three-speed fan blows this air to keep the area cool.
Icybreeze’s battery-powered portable air conditioner features a 6AH lithium-ion rechargeable battery. It provides you with up to four hours of power. In addition, the unit has an optional 12V to enhance its cooling capacity.
Icybreeze doesn’t use any harmful chemical refrigerant which makes it environment friendly. It cools air up to 35 degrees lower than the outside temperature. It is safe to keep your beverages cool at all times. The above features put it into the list of the best portable AC for cars.
Honeywell 9000 Btu Portable Air Conditioner
Image Credits: walmart
This portable AC for cars can cool the area up to 300-400 sq Ft. Automatic vertical wind motion is responsible for uniform distribution of powerful cool air for constant and fast cooling.
It consists of dual filters to protect it from dust and hair to extend product life and performance.
Its fantastic design can provide you optimum comfort with three fan speeds, sleep mode, digital controls, and a 24-hour energy-saving timer. In addition, this portable air conditioner for cars is easily installable.
Things to consider before buying a portable air conditioner
When it comes to keeping cool in your car, a portable air conditioner is a great way to go. Not only do they provide relief from the summer heat, but they also work well to combat humidity. However, before you buy one, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Size of the air conditioner – The size of the unit is an important consideration. Some portable air conditioners are small enough to fit in a backpack, while others are larger and need to be mounted on the window. Make sure you choose one that is the right size for your car. As a smaller and more powerful AC is best suitable for your car.
- Power requirements – Most portable air conditioners run on electricity, so you need to make sure your car has a working outlet. If your car doesn’t have an outlet, you may need to purchase an adapter. Most cars have 12 Voltage outlets.
- Efficiency – Not all portable air conditioners are created equal in terms of efficiency. Some use more energy than others, so you’ll want to choose one that is energy-efficient.
- Noise level – Another consideration is the noise level of the AC. Some portable air conditioners are much louder than others. If you’re someone who likes to listen to music or talk on the phone while driving, you’ll want to choose an AC with a low noise level.
- Duration of use – How long do you plan on using the AC? Some portable air conditioners only last for a few hours. If you are planning to use the air conditioner for a long time you need to choose it accordingly.
- Size – Finally, you’ll want to consider the size of the AC. Some portable air conditioners are larger than others. Choose one that is the right size for your car.
- Cost of the air conditioner – Cost is always a factor when purchasing anything. Make sure you are aware of how much the AC costs and whether or not it is worth the price.
- Size of the vehicle – You will also want to take the size of your car into account. Some portable air conditioners are really large and won’t fit in smaller cars. If you have a bigger space you won’t be getting that much cooling. you need to calculate how much area you need to cool and according to that, you need to choose the air conditioner. To cool down one sqft of the area you need an Air conditioner to generate almost 20BTU. For example, if your car’s internal space is around 200sqft you need to have an ac that can generate 4000 BTU.
- Installation efforts of air conditioner – If you are not handy, you might want to avoid air conditioners that need to be installed using screws and holes. Some portable air conditioners come with a window kit so they can be attached to a window. If your car doesn’t have any windows, or if you don’t want to drill any holes in it, you will need air.
What are the Pros and cons of having a portable ac for your Car or Truck?
- Convenience – One of the best things about having a portable AC unit for your car is how convenient it can be. If you’re traveling and it gets too hot, you can just set up the AC and cool down your car quickly.
- Money-saving – Another great thing about having a portable AC unit is that it can save you tons of money. If you’re traveling and the hotel or Airbnb you’re staying at doesn’t have air conditioning, you can just set up your portable AC unit and cool down the room.
- Versatility – Portable AC units are also very versatile. You can use them in your car, but you can also use them in your home, office, or any other small space.
- Size – One thing to consider when buying a portable AC unit is its size. Make sure you buy one that is not too big or too small for your needs.
- Work as a humidifier – Portable AC units also work as humidifiers, which is a great feature to have in the summertime when the weather is hot and muggy.
- Improves visibility when it’s foggy outside.
- Lowers the risk of accidental animal ingestion.
- Makes the air in the car feel cleaner and less polluted.
- The temperature inside the car can be preselected and automatically maintained by the air conditioner.
- No need to worry about gas prices if you own a hybrid car.
- Can be expensive to operate – Portable AC units can be a bit more expensive to operate than regular window units.
- May does not work well in very hot climates – If you live in an area where the temperatures regularly exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a portable AC unit may not be the best option.
- Noise complaints – Some people find portable AC units to be noisy, so if you are particularly sensitive to noise, this may not be the best option for you.
- Unit must be emptied of water after each use – If you live in an area with high humidity, you will need to empty the water collected by the unit after each use.
How To Install A Portable Air Conditioner
When the temperature starts to rise, it is important to have a reliable way to cool down. One of the best ways to do this for your car is by installing a portable air conditioner. This blog will teach you how to install such an appliance.
First, you need to find a location for the air conditioner in your car that has a 12-volt power port. This can be done by looking under your dashboard. You also need to find a place where there is at least 1 inch of space between the unit and the back seat.
Overhead 12-volt power port where you can plug in the portable air conditioning system. Minimum of 1 inch between the back seat and air conditioner. You also need to think about how you will secure it in place once installed. The best way to do this is by using velcro.
However, you should be careful to make sure that the unit does not have sharp edges or it could puncture your seat material. Once you have all of the tools you need and all of your materials, you can do your installation. I will cover the individual steps in more detail below:
1. Go under your dashboard. The port is usually located on top of the steering column below the overhead light switch (if present). It is a small black plug with a socket that can be used for 12-volt accessories.
2. Find a spot behind the back seat where you can run the air hose from your portable air conditioner. It is better to run the hose behind the rear seat rather than underneath it. This will keep your backseat area less cluttered and will still allow you to use it when you are not using the air conditioner.
3. There are several different types of vents so there may be a couple of different ways that you can install your new unit. If there is one vent that has airflow, follow these steps:
a) Turn the air conditioner on high to get maximum airflow out of the vent .
b) Push the hose over the vent of your choice and secure it with duct tape or zip ties.
If there are multiple vents that do not have airflow (this is common in most GM vehicles), follow these steps:
a) Remove the vent grille.
b) Cut a hole big enough to fit your air conditioner hose through by using a razor blade or utility knife.
c) Run the air hose through this hole before putting back the vent grille.
4. Work from the interior of your vehicle and have a friend run around to the outside with the hose to make sure that it is in the correct place.
With your air conditioner installed, you will be able to drive through hot weather comfortably and keep your cool throughout the summer season.
Best Portable Air Coolers for Cars
Image Credits: amazon
Portable air coolers are suitable for cooling a small compact area. It can reduce the air temperature within the specific square footage. However, it functions differently from portable air conditioners.
Generally, air coolers are more cost-effective than air conditioners. Evaporative air coolers (aka Swamp air coolers or Desert air coolers) require few materials to operate – typically only water and electricity. These air coolers have come up with a workaround for air conditioners. It cools the air by evaporating water.
The machine works by pulling in stale air and circulating it over a cooling pad. The cool water evaporates and, as a result, reduces the temperature by adding moisture to the atmosphere. As a result, the cooling power of evaporative air coolers is higher in the region with a higher temperature and lower humidity. There are many energy-efficient air coolers available in the market.
Salient Features Of Evaporative Air Coolers
Image Credits: amazon
Air coolers are widely used in Cars and Trucks. As Air coolers come with some great features and have some advantages over the AC. However, These coolers can’t replace an AC unit. But they are pretty good to use. Below are some of the features of coolers.
- Energy-efficient and cost-effective – Evaporative air coolers are less expensive and more energy-saving than portable air conditioners. It requires less maintenance and repair costs as well in comparison.
- Effectively cools down the air – Cars’ air coolers efficiently cool down the air, unlike fans, as they add moisture to the atmosphere.
- Doesn’t use chemical refrigerants – Evaporative air coolers don’t use chemical refrigerants, unlike air conditioners.
- Doesn’t need a car engine to run – Since Evaporative air coolers can run from a battery or power bank via a USB cable, there is no need to have your car engine running to make it work.
- Eco-friendly – Air coolers are eco-friendly as they do not emit greenhouse gases or CO2. They simply pass hot air through water-soaked to produce cool air.
- It doesn’t use any chemical refrigerant.
- There is no heat exhausted as a result of the evaporation process.
- We can adjust the amount of spent energy in air coolers.
Best Five Portable Air Cooler For Cars
Mighty Kool The K2 Portable Air Cooler
Image Credits: amazon
The K2 may not cool the vehicle but it may cool pets or people inside the vehicle that is not moving. The Mighty Kool K2 Evaporative Portable Cooler for cars produces 25 mph of cool air through both cool air vents.
This portable cooler for cars uses water only no ice to cool people or pets. You can move both vents to direct cool air in all directions. You can add housings also to extend its reach.
The unit holds nearly two liters of water, enough for a couple of hours and you can attach a larger water bag for longer periods between refills.
Evapolar evaCHILL Portable Air Cooler
Image Credits: Evapolar
Evapolar evaCHILL portable air cooler cools and humidifies the air and as a bonus, its cool night light gives you a comfortable sleep.It carries no organic material. It doesn’t use Freon-like chemicals and uses fully biodegradable evaporative pads that make it rot-free and germ-free.It cools the area in front of the device (45 sq. ft.), enough to cool inside a car.
It is totally leakage-proof and its enlarged water tank increases the working time up to nine hours.It’s a perfect traveling ideal solution for travelers as it works with any USB power supply.
ZEEF Personal Air Cooler Built-in 5000mAh Rechargeable Battery-powered
Image Credits: amazon
Its 5000 mAh built-in battery and portable design allow it to work at different speeds and modes. Its portable and mini size allows you to carry it anywhere you want.
Timer function and humanized design is a big plus for this air cooler. It automatically switches off the air cooler fan by setting a 1/ 2/ 4/8-hour timer. It eliminates unnecessary energy consumptions. You can control the wind direction as you like.
800ml water tank allows it to spray water for long hours. Two different ways of adding water is convenient for refilling water and reducing water leakage.
Three wind speeds and refrigeration modes allow you to adjust them as per your leisure time, working, and sleeping. It is one of the best coolers for cars available today.
KUUOTE Mini Evaporative Portable Air cooler
Image Credits: amazon
With the full tank of water, the air cooler can run up to five hours. To get the best cooling experience you can consider adding ice cubes.
At a low-level noise, this car provides you with a good sleeping environment. Its built-in seven soft lights can bring you a good mood and an excellent sleeping experience. These 7 color LEDs will enlighten your car cabin with colorful lights.
It is a reliable option for a peaceful journey. With three adjustable wind speeds, you can customize different options soft-cool-strong as per your need. With only 11.4 inches in height, it is quite easy and comfortable to carry on the go. It is a viable option for a portable air cooler for cars.
Logkern Portable Air cooler
Image Credits: amazon
This super silent portable air cooler has 7 color atmosphere lights with 3 cooling settings which will set your mood for a road journey.
It runs on a 2000 mAh rechargeable battery which has USB ports for charging. It has a carrying handle and its lightweight feature makes it the best portable air cooler for cars.
Its 7 color atmosphere lights will enhance your mood at night while sleeping. With rational design and water sensor technology with a USB cable, you can easily connect different adapters.
You can add ice for better cooling effect. You can add water to make the airflow close to the natural wind.
Best Five Portable Cooling Fans For Cars
We have already explored the best portable air conditioners and air coolers. Now we will dive into the world of the best portable cooling fans for cars. Sometimes the weather is not so cold, and we need a portable fan rather than an air conditioner or swamp cooler.
The cool air rushing through our bodies gives a pleasant experience and makes our journey smooth. It is more cost-effective than air conditioners or coolers. It consumes much less energy than both of them. Here you can find the list of the best five portable cooling fans for your car.
Xool Portable Electric Car Fan
Image Credits: amazon
With two rotatable fan heads, it can blow hot air out of the car efficiently. It can provide strong wind to cool down the people or pets in the rear seats. It can be a good solution in case your cars’ air conditioning is weak or not working. Its low noise will ensure passengers a peaceful rest.
The Xool car fan is 360 degrees rotatable. It can bring coolness to the people or pets in every corner of the backseat of the car. In addition, You can change wind speeds quickly and effortlessly to maximize your comfort.
Xool car fan is perfect for removing the moisture from the interior windshield on cold or rainy days by throwing out unwanted hot air, cigarette smoke, or dust. Due to its sturdy structure and high-quality grip, it is easy to install and removable by hand.
Beegoo 12V Dual Head Car Fan
Image Credits: amazon
Beegoo 12V dual electric fans with dual swivel heads provide super strong wind cools down both the driver and the passengers.
Dual fan heads are 360 degrees manual rotatable and the fan holder is 180 degrees manual rotatable. It improves air circulation and air quality inside the car keeping you fresh and cool.
Two adjustable fan speeds with a low noise feature get you a peaceful journey with quality rest.
It is highly energy-efficient being 12V powered. It saves energy and fuel. It comes with an adhesive base to secure the fan to the dashboard or the seat armrest area.
It is small, portable, and easy to install. With a cigarette lighter plug-in plus battery-powered feature, there is no need to have your car engine running to make the fan work.
Eluto Dual Head Car Fans
Image Credits: amazon
It has dual fans with 360-degree rotation; it can effectively dissipate heat and eliminate unwanted odor inside the car. Powerful fans are capable of improving air circulation and keeping the air in cars cool and fresh.
Three-speed levels and low noise can maximize your comfort and get you a good rest.
Eluto cigarette lighter plug power cable is up to 5 Feet which makes the fan extremely convenient to fix to the back or front seats.
With strong adhesive stickers, it is easy to install. You can fix it easily in the front or back seats at your convenience.
Jieyao 12V Car Fan Dual Head Electric Auto Cooling Fan
Image Credits: amazon
With a dual swivel head and super strong winds, it cools down the driver and the passengers at the same time. Adjustable speeds and low noise feature provides you a soothing experience while taking a rest.
360-degree manual rotatable fan heads and a 180-degree manual rotatable fan holder enhance air circulation and air quality, keeping it fresh and cool.
It does not only defrost in winter in seconds but also brings strong wind in summer.
It is 12V powered, thus it saves electricity and fuel, and comes with an adhesive base to secure the fan to the dashboard or the seat armrest area.
Tautuo 12V Portable Electric Fan 360 Degree Rotatable
Image Credits: amazon
Low energy consumption, low noise, blowing hot air out of the parking car immediately with two rotatable fan heads with two setting speeds make Tautuo a unique portable fan for cars.
With its 360-degree rotation technic, the portable fan efficiently eliminates unwanted smoke, odor, moisture, and dust. In addition, it splits up air circulation and keeps the air in cars cool and fresh.
With high-quality adhesive stickers, the fan is secure to install in the dashboard or armrest area.
Not only can it defrost the windshield in seconds but also can bring strong and fresh air in hot summer.
Well, we have talked about the portable car ACs at a great length. After considering all the features and aspects we think Icy Breeze V2 Pro Portable air conditioner is the best of the lot. The first thing is its amazing performance. It’s a time-tested brand. It is better than its competitors at a cheaper price. It stands out on Amazon with 4.3 ratings.
Next in this row is Mighty Kool K2 Portable Air Cooler if you are looking for any of this kind. It will meet all your needs regarding a portable air cooler. This K2 cooler cools up to 12% more than a swamp cooler. The vehicle starts easily after using the K2 cooler, sleeping all night using K2 consumes less energy than a tail light bulb. You might find it a little pricey but it’s worth it.
When we talk about portable fans for your car, Xool portable electric car fans can provide you with an optimal cooling experience. With 4.3 ratings on Amazon, it tops the rating table for its innumerable unique features. It’s the premier heat buster in the market in its range.
Before looking for the best portable AC for your cars and hitting the Buy Now option, always remember to consider your requirements.
Finally, I hope, we have helped you out with this article. Good luck with your portable car AC.