Apple recently harbored the first public beta of tvOS 16 on the Apple TV, Apple’s streaming box Slash Homekit intelligent home hub. However, the update is still due to launch. But you can download the public beta today to jump-start on the new features.
The public beta teaser is out now. To get the beta version for your Apple TV set-top box, you can download the public beta program on it, sign up for apple’s beta program and grab the updates. It’s free to join from Apple’s public beta website.
If you already use the public beta program, you need to join again for these latest versions. Please scroll down to know more about it.
What are the new features rolling out on Apple TV with tvOS 16?
The new features with tvOS 16 that the public beta will be able to provide are as follows:
- Nintendo Switch controllers compatibility: Nintendo Switch’s Joy-Cons and Pro Controller will finally get support from tvOS 16. In this context, Apple says “many additional Bluetooth and USB game controllers are supported by the Game Controller” starting with tvOS 16.”
- HDR10+ support: Apple TV app on tvOS 16 will support the high dynamic range technology.
- Video-forward featuring on the Apple TVplus tab: Now, users can discover their following favorite Apple Original video preview at the top of the Apple TV plus Tab.
- Apple Fitness+: The Metrics of the workouts will display on the home screen of Apple TV with tvOS 16 for motivation. It consists of different intensities like Easy, Moderate, Hard, and All Out.
Also, a HomePod Software 16 will be added to the public beta testing program alongside tvOS 16.
How to download tvOS 16 public beta program?
First, visit the beta.apple.com website and sign up with your Apple ID, preferably the ID one you are currently using; if you have never joined the Apple TV’s public beta software program before, the update might not appear on your Apple TV, so make sure you are registered in the program.
- First, sign up for Apple’s beta program; if you are an existing member, sign in.
- Click on the tvOS tab.
- If you haven’t partaken in the beta yet, you will need to enroll first in the Apple TV public beta program.
- Now go to the Settings menu.
- Go to Accounts, and sign in with the same Apple ID you used to register for the beta program.
- Next, go to Settings > System > Software Update and tap on Get Public Beta Updates.
- Update your Apple TV to the latest beta, and turn on Automatic Updates (found on the same screen) to install the latest beta software as it rolls out.
Can your Apple TV run the public beta?
The following Apple TV models are compatible to tvOS 16 public beta program:
- Apple TV 4K- 2021
- Apple TV 4K – 2017
- Apple TV HD – fourth generation